Monday, October 22, 2012

Vet Discovers the Art of Metal Fabrication


           I have found out that you do not always have to go out looking for art that may be hidden within your community… sometimes it will find you.  This is precisely what happened to me one day at the beauty shop.  As I sat in the salon chair, trying not to get dye in my eyes, my good friend’s husband, who had just recently retired as a full time veterinarian, gave her a call and announced that he had a new business – creating pet tombstones.  Seriously?  I couldn’t believe that this man that once spent his life saving the lives of animals, was now assisting in burying them.  I would have to see this for myself!
            From the moment I walked into George’s shop, located in the piney woods of northwest Louisiana, just steps from his backdoor, I could tell he was a man who loved his work.  Like a kid in a candy store, he demonstrated in detail how he could transform a plain piece of metal into objects that appeal to the eye and capture the creative side of metal fabrication.  I watched, amazed, as he programmed an image into his plasma-CAM, using skills that would make any mathematician proud.    The resulting artwork that his machine produced made it clear that this amazing piece of technology has opened up possibilities in metal fabrications that were never before possible.  George intends to expand the range of his metal work by combining plasma technology with Photoshop to create a unique style of portraiture in metal.  
            George adds his own personal flair to his welding pieces creating anything from tombstones, to signs, to portraits in an effort to make his mark on this community.  Like others who have experienced how art provides the ability to transcend the barriers of traditional language and communicate on a whole new level, George has developed a desire to create new things.   His pieces can be found dotted throughout Claiborne Parish where they illustrate identities, define realities, and record bits of history within this small rural community.

No comments:

Post a Comment